April, 2022
I took the day off school to do some work for Ken, a longtime friend. Most of the guys at the jobsite thought it was pretty funny I took the day off school to work. We were chatting about climbing and Ken suggested Hamish and I go checkout a sweet route up in marble canyon called 'The Goat'. When I got home I suggested to Hamish that we rip out and give this route a go next weekend. He said no way. For context, neither of us had climbed a proper multipitch before, and The Goat is a nineteen pitch long route.
The next day I invited Ken over for some pizza, and we chatted about the route. One thing lead to another, and Hamish agreed that we would give it a go. The plan was to learn on a small easy multi at Mt. Wells. If you can climb three pitches, then you can climb nineteen! Right?!?!?
We found plenty of helpful tutorials on how to multipitch on youtube! Hurray for the internet! Once we did our practice run, learned our anchor systems, and had a laugh about how widly unprepared we were, it was time to head out to Cache Creek.
Due to work contraints, the trip itenerary was as follows:
Saturday: work --> catch 9pm ferry to Tsawwassen --> drive to marble canyon
Sunday: finish driving to marble canyon --> 6am starting climbing --> catch 9pm ferry back to Victoria
Monday: back at work
Not too much room for error here.
After a big hold up due to construction in Vancouver, we finally arrived in Marble Canyon. As we drove into the canyon, the faint early morning light was just enough to make out the wall looming above.
We took an hour to have a sleep in the truck before we were off.
Ascending


The climbing was almost entirely slab climbing, so the toes were geting really sore. Lower down we climbed the 5.11a variation. High up on the route there was a 5.10c pitch as well. This one was very slabby with no holds at all. It was quite long and runout. I didn't bring enough draws, so I ended up running it out big time at the top. My sore toes and overall fatigue added to the fear factor of a terrible slab fall.

Topping out this chossy pile of Limestone was unnerving. The topout of th eroute had only one anchor, and no bolts, and so we used a tree and a couple bushes as pro.
My only warning to anyone who wants to climb the route is regarding heinous the scramble down. It follows a treacherously sleep canyon where the possibility of rockfall is all too real. While Hamish and I were about halfway down the canyon, a whole bunch of head sized rocks came hurtling through. Luckily we heard it coming a long way off and ran up to the canyon wall to avoid them. They flew by cracking and echoing like gunshots. Gnarly. We were glad to have safely made it off the mountain.
We ran down the road back to the truck and started the mad dash back to the ferry! We arrived at the ferry terminal at 8:40pm and managed to get on the 9pm ferry... the very last one.
Tired and Happy.
It was a memorable day and we look forward to heading back up to marble canyon next summer for the brand new 33 pitch route 'Guaranteed Rugged'!
Comments
Post a Comment